It has only been three months of practicing this excellent genre of yoga for me and the benefits have been spectacular. Late Guruji B.K.S Iyengar is a legend who dedicated his life to yoga and his practice has become world’s foremost type of yoga. According to him, yoga is an integration of mind, body, emotions and intellect. The body exist in past and mind in future and yoga brings them both together in the present. Guruji has come up with several series of yoga asanas for different types of ailments. He says your body is your temple, keep it clean and pure for your soul to reside in. The link to official site for Iyengar yoga is http://www.bksiyengar.com/modules/Iyoga/iyoga.htm to learn more about it.
Here is the list of benefits to expect from Iyengar yoga:
- It helps in calming the brain hence reduces anxiety
- Curbs the craving for unhealthy food as your mind is at peace
- It is therapeutic and hence helps in ailments like acid reflex, gas, bloating,sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, sciatica, headaches, joint pain, and list goes on
- Asanas and Pranayam (breathing exercise) helps in improving lung function and blood circulation
- The precision and details in the asanas helps in improving the intellect
- Iyengar yoga’s principle is staying longer in the pose which helps in toning the muscles
- It is one of the finest yoga practice during pregnancy which makes labor and child birth easier
- Iyengar yoga makes use of different props and aids like blocks, straps, belts to perform the practice hence it increases flexibility and improves posture.
I find myself incredibly lucky to have found a teacher who has learned her practice directly from Guruji B.K.S Iyengar and wish to continue Iyengar yoga for the rest of my life.